Some Faces from '97

모슬포 (Moseulpo), South Korea. 1997.

Here are a few more faces. This first one is Kimi. She was a typical high school girl in 1997. Smart, talented, good cook, great singing voice (from her mother?). Turns out the Master is her step-father; her mother separated from the father. But one could could never tell by observing the relationship between Kimi and the Master. He definitely dotes on this one.
Here is 민철. He's the one who picked me up in front of the Moseulpo Post Office. 착해, this one. He told me Korean people often ask him if he's American Indian. Do you see it?
I called him 민철, he called me 형.
Here is 명룡. A simple, sweet fellow. Frequently expressed to me his gratitude for the Master. A few short years later he would be killed in a car accident. Or so I was told. Sad.

2 comments:

John said...

Yeah, I have actually encountered several Koreans who reminded me of native Americans I had met during my time in Arizona. Lends credence to the theory that the original Americans migrated to North America during the ice age...

White Rice said...

John-
Thanks for the confirmation. In that vein, I once was told that "Nevada" was derived from the Korean Language for "4 Seas" because the state is surrounded by 4 large bodies of water.
Hmmmm...